Friday, February 02, 2007

Stereotypes...

I'm really angry right now about stereotypes. If I hear one more time that they aren't talking me, they are talking about "Christians" I may just explode. I am a Christian and I am a true Christian, the hypocritical, loudmouth, ugly people who use the Christian label to promote their own brand of judgement as opposed to what God wants for us are not. I looked up stereotype and this is the definition: a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group. Seems so innocent doesn't it? I wanted it to say something along the lines of "horrible misrepresentation of an innocent group of people." because in our day and age that's what it's boiled down to. I don't think I've ever seen a stereotype that hasn't pulled out all the ugly characteristics of a group and used that to describe them.

I guess it boils down to whether or not you are willing to look at each person as an individual or just put them in their little box as soon as you see the color of their skin or realize that they believe in God. I am who I am because of what I have chosen to believe and what I have studied and what I have looked for and questioned. You are who you are for the same exact reasons but for some reason since I believe in God, I don't get the same courtesy that you do, I get ridiculed. It's amazing to me how many people who go on and on about how open minded and accepting of everyone and everything are totally closed minded to anything they don't agree with. I know a lot of Christians are like that but you know what? I'm not, so don't judge me by people you've met, judge me on my own merit, by my own words and I'll do the same to you. Just because I don't agree with what you believe does not mean that I don't respect your views.

1 comment:

Neva said...

From the Message:
Matthew 5:11-12
"Not only that--count yourself blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens---give a cheer even!--for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And you know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble"
Neat huh?
I love you and I am very proud of you.
Mom