Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I thought this was interesting...

I found this on another blog online and liked it so much, I thought I'd snag it!

From C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain:
"...What would really satisfy us would be a God who said of anything we happened to like doing, 'What does it matter so long as they are contented?' We want, in fact, not so much a Father in Heaven as a grandfather in heaven--a senile benevolence who, as they say, 'liked to see young people enjoying themselves,' and whose plan for the universe was simply that it might be truly said at the end of each day, 'a good time was had by all.' Not many people, I admit, would formulate a theology in precisely those terms: but a conception not very different lurks at the back of many minds. I do not claim to be an exception: I should very much like to live in a universe which was governed on such lines. But since it is abundantly clear that I don't, and since I have reason to believe, nevertheless, that God is Love, I conclude that my conception of love needs correction. ...There is a kindness in Love: but Love and kindness are not coterminous, and when kindness is separated from the other elements of Love, it involves a certain fundamental indifference to its object, and even something like contempt of it. Kindness consents very readily to the removal of its object--we have all met people whose kindness to animals is constantly leading them to kill animals lest they should suffer. Kindness, merely as such, cares not whether its object becomes good or bad, provided only that it escapes suffering....It is for people whom we care nothing about that we demand happiness on any terms: with our friends, our lovers, our children, we are exacting and would rather see them suffer much than happy in contemptible and estranging modes. If God is Love, He is, by definition, something more than mere kindness. And it appears, from all the records, that though He has often rebuked us and condemned us, He has never regarded us with contempt...."

It's so interesting to me that people are always asking why God allows pain. Since we are to believe what is written in the bible and since Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." then how does that jibe with God causing pain? Why would He cause us pain and then turn it around and work it so that it benefit us? I just don't understand that. It's like putting someone under a falling piano and then pushing them out of the way at the last minute and saying, "whew! I just saved your life!"

I believe that we live in a world of sin which leads us to have pain and suffering. If we had not sinned in the first place then just imagine the world that we would be living in right now. No pain, no suffering only paradise. That is the world God created for us, man created the pain.

No comments: