Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Two in One Day!

Yesterday in honor of President's Day, Morgan asked me why somebody shot and killed President Abraham Lincoln.

Good question and how do you answer that one? I just told him that someone felt that they had the right to take his life because they didn't like what he had to say. And then it hit me. Even murder is plain old selfishness. Someone thinks they have the right to decide that they get to take someone else's life. I always felt murder is akin to evil (which it is) but I've never realized that it is also akin to selfishness. When we put ourselves first, we can justify anything. I don't know my bible well enough but I wonder if Satan is ever called the God of Self because isn't that just what he is? Doesn't everything he stands for revolve around self? And now, I feel like society is getting to believe in that. Moreso now than ever. There was at least a cover of common decency or shame back in the day but now that's gone. It's all good if it's all about you and you better not say anything otherwise. It's that searing of the conscience, I think.

I just hope that more and more people realize that this is the direction society is going and this is what our kids are going to have to deal with. I hope my kids are part of the generation that starts to turn it around. I do know that society does that. Rises and falls. I hope we are getting to a rise.

No comments: