Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Free Will

The doctrine that the conduct of human beings expresses personal choice and is not simply determined by physical or divine forces.

I've been wondering lately about free will. I came to a conclusion today that changed the way I had thought about an issue for many years. It was about abortion and I was always against abortion but always figured that women should have the right to choose. I mean, if God gave us Free Will, shouldn't we allow others to have it? But then that is a slippery slope because that could trickle down to murderers being able to murder because they are exercising their free will. So I was talking to my mom and she said that murder should never be a choice. Good point. So, when I came on here to wonder about free will, I remembered something my mother in law had told me that someone had told her. We, as Christians should be the light that shows the way. A guiding light, a gentle light. One that doesn't blind but one that is bright enough to see. So, people can have their free will but if I'm asked, I will definitely shine my light in the direction that God points me.

"In the same way, let your light shine in front of others. Then they will see the good things you do. And they will praise your Father who is in heaven. "
Matthew 5:16

1 comment:

Neva said...

You are so right. Christians cannot continue to beat people up with the truth and expect it to make a positive impact on their lives.
Good job
Mom
KTB