Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My thought for the day...

I was writing a post about marriage on a board that I belong to and this was the verse I used,
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 4:29

The post was about arguing with your husband and the challenge was to remember this verse the next time you found yourself in an argument. And I got to thinking about all the people that I interact with and I realized that I've always done this (usually) and didn't even realize it. Part of me always kind of thought that I was playing people when I did this. But I've always tried to build people up according to their needs. When you think about it, different people in your life are treated differently by you. There are some who can take everything you say because they understand you and understand where you are coming from and how you mean what you've said. There are some where you have to temper what you say because they may find some sort of implication somewhere even if there was none intended. You get the idea. I've gotten really involved in Internet groups over the past three years and I've learned that there are certain people who join groups just to hear encouragement, they don't want to hear solutions to their problems, they just want a willing ear and a pat, "You're okay, you'll get over this." and that's all. Some people have to try to fix them and that's fine but just think about what the verse says, according to their needs. Not ours but theirs. Why is that? I mean, wouldn't their life be better off if I gave them solutions and they followed my advice? I do it because I care, it's really good advice, sometimes!! Or should we really try to get to know the person so we can give them that same advice but do it according to their needs so that it actually will be listened to and followed.

Just another quick observation because Matthew really wants on Nickjr!!

I've noticed that people deal with other people either on their level or the other's person's level. Do you listen to people and understand what they mean because of who that person is or do you listen and assume stuff because of what your mind is telling you?

Just something to think about!

1 comment:

Neva said...

It takes a really really mature person to realize that everything that crosses their mind does not need to come out of their mouth. If it does not benefit the listener in some way, it should be kept in your mind.