Thursday, March 29, 2007

Why?

Don't call me Naomi, " she told them. "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me.
Ruth 1:20

I cry out to you, O God, but you do not answer; I stand up, but you merely look at me. You turn on me ruthlessly; with the might of your hand you attack me.
You snatch me up and drive me before the wind; you toss me about in the storm.
I know you will bring me down to death, to the place appointed for all the living.

Job 30:20-23

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent.
Psalm 22:1-2

What do you think when you read these verses? Do you think, "Man, what a bunch of crybabies! They need to suck it up and move on." or "Wow, I wonder what they've gone through to have such heartache." I think the latter. I know a lot of people think the former, that we shouldn't question God, that we should just accept everything on this Earth meekly and deal with it the best we can and move on. But, I don't think so.

In these instances, Naomi was telling her hometown that she had come back because her husband and two sons were dead and that her daughter in law was gone. She had left full and had come home empty. Think about that, your family of six has been brought down to two, I think she had every reason to feel bitter. Look at Job, he had lost everything, his children, his wealth, his health and while he never did turn his back on God, he did ask him why?? And David in Psalm 22, is crying to the Lord because he has fallen under attack after attack from enemies that God has not saved him from. These people, who God looked favorably upon all have very valid reasons to feel angry and wounded and ask their God WHY?? Why should we feel any different and why should we not be allowed to do the same?

I'm not saying wallow in your grief, I'm not saying that you should dwell on it forever, I'm saying that God has allowed us to question Him and not feel ashamed or scared. We can come before Him and ask why. But, I've come to realize that the only answer you will get is, Because I'm God. And that's enough. That's all we need to know because we have these promises,

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.
Deuteronomy 7:9

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
James 1:12

Before, when people have asked why, I've always wondered why not? But, I've come to realize that if you are a child of God, it's because God is at work in your life. Who knows what Heaven holds for the mother who has had to bury a child? Who knows what's to come for the widow who has to bury a husband? Who knows how many people a recovered drug addict can lead to God? God does and we may find out in this world or in the next but we can be assured that any pain we live with today will lead to blessing after blessing tomorrow.

3 comments:

Neva said...

Grief and loss are as much a part of being Christlike as giving and loving. He expereinced what we experience so that we would have an example of coping and growing through them. (ALTWIT)
Good post, daughter
Neva

Larissa said...

I liked that post. It's a good reminder for us all when we start to doubt what can do. He's God, He can do anything!

Anonymous said...

The last words of Jesus were from Psalm 22, so I would think this is a signal from God that we are encouraged to question him and grow from it.

His dying words.