Thursday, April 05, 2007

Grace

I wish that churches taught about grace more than sin. Or that when people talked about Christians it was about how graceful they are instead of how judgemental. I'm reading a book right now called Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel. The premise is to treat our children the way Jesus treats us. But of course, I got to thinking and I'm just gonna let my thoughts wander.

Grace is defined as the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God. Unmerited means that we don't deserve it. Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." That's grace, that's like having your child spit in your face and you reach down and grab him and hug him and tell him you love him. We do it because we love them and so we won't go to prison for child abuse!!

But seriously, I'm really striving to be graceful to everyone. It's hard though, I get annoyed at little things that my kids do and snap at them. I get my feelings hurt by my husband and pull the old, "What's wrong, honey?" "Oh, nothing" dialogue when it's more than obvious there is something wrong. I get mad and feel justified at letting my words fly. But Phillipians 2:3-4 says, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." (emphasis mine) Now the Christians that are reading this are nodding their head and going, "that's right, that's right" but if you don't believe then you may be reading this going, "What?? Why should I consider others better than me? They aren't better than me!" But you know what? If everybody did that, then you would have everyone you know and interact with on a daily basis looking out for your interests. Your husband, your kids and your friends. Ahhhh...kinda makes it sound better, doesn't it?! It does to me too! And the neat thing about it is people mimic the people around them, so maybe if I go into it with the attitude that if I change, I can cause positive change in those around me it won't seem so hard.

1 comment:

Neva said...

Sorry I haven't been around much. I have had to work everyday + overtime--makes for good paycheck bad blogging. I have often thought about this along the same lines. We all are to look out for each other, love each other, bear each other's burdens etc. If all of us do that----WOW!!
Love ya
mom