Thursday, October 26, 2006

You can't go wrong with Proverbs!

I love the book of Proverbs. I love the simple 2-3 line verses that say so much. I'm just gonna list some favorites. I hope you like them!

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
3:3-4

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
3:5-6

Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.
3:27

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
10:12

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.
11:22
(You can't get any more eloquent than that!!)

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.
12:1
(Some of these pull no punches.)

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
12:18

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
16:3
(Might, maybe...nope will!)

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
16:24
(Words = healing, that's twice now and that's just the ones I've picked. So think twice the next time someone deserves the sharp edge of your tongue.)

Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.
16:31
(That's great but I'm still gonna cover them up!!)

He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.
17:9

Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.
17:14

Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I was only joking!"
26:18-19

A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day; restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.
27:15-16

I think this one is my all time favorite...

Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?" or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.
30:8-9
I love that, I've always said that I wanted enough money to pay my bills and go to Wal-Mart and get what I want. Not too sophisticated but just right for me!

No comments: